Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A "C" Note and Other Delights

There are few things I enjoy more than a "C" note, nice and crisp, the ultimate gift certificate. Yes, the hundred dollars is fun to play with or even to hoard until that moment that I've found the perfect item to spend it on.

When I was younger, the fifty cent piece was my favorite coin. I loved the large size and the Liberty Bell on the reverse.

The common connection between these two is the portrait of Ben Franklin on the front. I admire Ben. Totally. He has always fascinated and amazed me. He was pretty much an Early American blogger with Poor Richard's Almanac. He helped popularize many pithy sayings that are a part of our culture. Healthy, wealthy and wise. The early bird. A penny saved. He contributed one of our three legends of Americans--Washington and the Cherry Tree, Lincoln and the Log Cabin and Franklin and the Kite. Where would we be without bifocals? I know I wouldn't be reading this computer screen without my specs. I'm not crazy about the cost of a stamp, but I'm still grateful that the Post Office regularly delivers my mail correctly and on time. And what would the Declaration of Independence have been like without his participation?!

He was a Renaissance Man, inquisitive, thoughful, a philosopher and an activist. The dude rocked. So...Happy Birthday, Ben!

No comments:

Post a Comment