Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Pioneer Confessions

Try visiting The Pioneer Woman (in Links) sometime. I am dying to try her recipe for Cinnamon Rolls. They look gooey, warm, spicy, tasty and altogether yummy. I'm gonna wait until I either have a large hungry group of visitors around or until I have had a full week of strenuous exercise and deserve the 1500 calories per bite they undoubtedly have. Because I have NO WILLPOWER. If I've cooked it, then I've tasted it. If I've baked it, then I will go to any lengths to make sure the entire batch is slurped up as soon as possible.

I'm not as young (chronologically) as the "Mommy Bloggers" that I love to read. Some of them weren't even born when I met my sweetie. They are in the process of stressing about turning thirty-eight. Ha!

They truly don't need to worry about aging. Why? 'Cause the Baby Boomers are changing the landscape of aging. We've changed everything else throughout our lives, so why not aging? The Boomers don't feel old or elderly or over-the-hill or anything else, but young and eager.

I know I'm in better shape now than I was when I was in my Thirties. I'm stronger and more fit. I'm more adventurous. I'm smarter about my choices. I'm loving every bit of life. After a summer of walking hills for fun and exercise, I even love my buns. That alone is an accomplishment.

Part of feeling young is being around kindergarten moms year after year. I feel like they are my contemporaries, when in fact I may be closer in age to their mothers. They and their children truly keep me young. I'm occasionally shocked when I realize how many years separate us. (I know now what my mom meant when she said she was surprised to realize she wasn't seventeen anymore.) Then I'm shocked when I meet a kindergarten parent who is actually older than I am! I may feel young, but I'm not crazy enough to think I deserve a five-year-old in the house.

I freely admit that I lie about my age. I think that age-ism is alive and well, unfortunately. I don't want anyone to stereotype me because of my chronological age. I want every opportunity that any young adult has available. I like the kindergarten guesses about how many birthday candles are on my cake. I don't think anyone has guessed more than twenty-odd candles yet in seven years.

Or maybe it's my age that lies about me. I don't think that we match at all. Yes, I need reading glasses and my hair color may be slightly different than Mother Nature's currently choosing, but I feel like I'm evolving in some way that doesn't involve age. Does that make sense? Maybe it's something spiritual horizons that I'm heading towards. Maybe I've always been something of an old soul and now I'm caught up and exploring other dimensions. Whatever. It works for me.

Let's just forget age and judge each other by our aspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment