Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August Equals Gravensteins


Our family reunion in early August was held in Sebastopol--Apple Central for those of us who think there is nothing that can compare with a Gravenstein apple. We snuck away while folks were touring the original family homesite and found this U-pick orchard. (K&K--the friendliest farm wife and an immaculate, well-loved orchard--two thumbs up!). We picked two boxes of apples (a bargain at ninety cents a pound) and loaded up the little red orchard wagon. Windfalls are so sweet. I picked up lots and tucked them away in a special corner of the box to use first. I may have eaten one or two. I love rubbing away their natural waxy coating and revealing a glossy striped apple.
We shared lots with the family, then brought the rest home where they made my kitchen windowsill look even nicer than usual. Aren't my little birds cute? I grabbed them a few years ago at Target the instant they appeared. They decorate my life year-round except for the Christmas holidays. I love birds!
Applesauce, Apple Crisp, Apple Brown Betty, Apple Pie or...Apple Cobbler! A picture can't do the delicious tart-sweet perfect apple taste justice. You'll just have to acquire your own Gravensteins.

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin from just looking at my photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment