Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Friday, January 22, 2010

Long

A year ago exactly the company downsized fifteen thousand employees worldwide, one of whom was my sweetie. It's been a long year. It's not really the kind of anniversary anyone likes.

On the positive side, we've become homebodies. There's been lots of hobbies and crafts and baking. Lots of free and low-cost entertainment.

Would I like to be contributing to an economic recovery by upgrading another bathroom vanity to granite, replacing our windows with double-paned fiberglass beauties, and refinishing our oak floors? You bet!

Meanwhile I can dream. I'm assembling a portfolio of ideas and researching products. I browse lighting and plumbing websites and visit eBay regularly. I can hold internal debates about the merits of paint versus stain and vinyl flooring versus grouted tile and windows with mullions versus windows without. When the time comes and we're no longer living on a teacher's aide salary augmented liberally with cashed-in investments, I'm going to be ready!

I'm grateful for a backload of unfinished crafts and sewing projects to keep me busy. I'm happy that so many people throw out great furniture on trash day. I'm overjoyed that my walking partners tolerate my prediliction for dumpster diving. I bless my sewing machine for her uncomplaining work ethic. I have a job I enjoy, friends and family that light up our lives, books to inspire, dogs that still think we're the best friends any canine ever had, a roof overhead and delicious food on the table. We're blessed with health, love and happiness.

I've never been happier that I'm a glass-half-full person!

No comments:

Post a Comment