Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Just A Little Draft-y

Funny what you find when you re-organize a forgotten little corner.

Remember when I said I was almost at four hundred posts?  Well, it's actually three hundred seventy-four published posts as I discovered last night.  I dug into "Edit Posts" to count how many drafts should be deducted from the total (since Blogger counts drafts as well as posts in one's total).  I figured I had a few, but was amazed to find that there were actually twenty-five unpublished drafts. I planned to delete them and let the Blogger total recalibrate to show actual posts.  But as I read them, I found that even if they were out-of-date and/or incomplete, they were still snapshots of a time that would never come again.  I began to cut and paste them into a new Word document.

A selection:
Some were cryptic notes to myself:: "remember to check blog url for meme" (from meme 10/6/07)--not a big loss there.

Some were unfinished, a sentence or two long at most: "Ah, the posts I could publish...if only I could find the battery charger for my camera, I could..."  (from The Un-Photo 12/9/08)--proof that I can blog about a-ny-thing.

Some were too negative: How the Economy Really Works  (2/21/09)--that's a dangerous can of worms that I'm glad I never served.  You owe me for sparing you.

Some I thought I had published, I should have posted, but somehow didn't.  Remember East?  The baby sparrow I rescued last year?
I wrote this last June right after summer vacation started:

Yesterday's schedule looked something like this:
• Power walk the hills and get home in time to feed East
• Oatmeal and flaxseed for breakfast
• Get out the power tools, go upstairs to feed East
• Select the best of the old fence lumber and feed East
• Saw the one by six's with my jigsaw and realize it's feeding time again
• Measure two by four's and cut with my sweetie's skilsaw and am amazed at how much a baby bird can eat
• Change from drillbit to Philips head and back again a zillion times as I assemble a new raised bed for veggies and go upstairs again
• Level the ground and put new planter in place
• Start to move excess dirt from my sweetie's brick project into my new raised planter
• Feed East and feed the dogs
• Pick up the new mirror
• Feed you-know-who
• Home Depot for a mirror hanger, a six-pack of impatiens to brighten the shady brick patio, manure for the raised bed and, fortuitously, the tall bellflower I've been wanting for years
• Plant, mix soil, feed the tyrant
• Surreptiously glue together the ceramic pot somebody threw away before realizing how time-consuming it would be
• Spend time in the attic amongst picture frames
• Organize the scrapbooking desk
• Make our yummy Roasted Pepper and Crab Soup from scratch for dinner
• Realize I need to make a new batch of baby birdfood and marvel at how East has adapted to his new life
• Feed him, clean up his "sandbox" and put him to bed with a blankie and the heating pad
• Enjoy some computer time
• A leisurely bath with a good book


Raising my little tyrant was my good deed for the year and I'm happy to finally post what it was truly like to be a bird parent. I think I've finally forgiven his parents for ignoring him (or her) when we tried to re-nest East. One more mouth to feed took on a whole new meaning for me!

Cleaning out my unposted drafts was liberating (and fun). Who cares about four hundred, anyway!  My blog is about carpe diem not statistics.

3 comments:

  1. How funny you are ! I understand raising a little tyrant like east,I raised a baby squirrel named bushky bushybottom. A syringe-full of baby cereal every 3 hours all thru the night, but he made it! I hope little east did too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugly i don`t like it to much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. East would like to say this, "Peep, peeep, squawk!" Which I translate to mean something like, "Dude, adolescence isn't easy for any of us."

    ReplyDelete