Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The Sexiest Man on TV

Mike Holmes is my hero.

I love it when he says, "Do it right the first time," and gives that sigh and a shake of his head as he surveys the mess created by an incompetent contractor or uncaring builder. And then Mike (I'm on a first name basis with him and, yes, I obviously have no grip on reality) makes it right. He really cares about doing a quality job. Mike knows that it's not just construction, it's a home.

What an enormous relief that has to be for a homeowner stuck with a problem created by a "professional." A professional that actually got paid for careless, shoddy workmanship and a homeowner who's found no recourse or solution. With Holmes on Homes HGTV created a series that pushes all my buttons.

I know no one's perfect and mistakes happen. Anyone who's tackled a project finds that out first-hand. But the good guys cowboy up; the creeps bury their mistakes; the heroes fix it like they were gonna live there themselves.

I'm not surprised that Mike gets a hug after the work is complete. I want to hug him myself in gratitude that the world still produces men who believe in craftsmanship. Oh, who am I fooling? Gratitude, smatitude--he's big, muscled, sweaty and competent. Pretty much my definition of sexy!

3 comments:

  1. I love a different Mike. Mike Rowe a 'la Dirty Jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to love about a passionate handyman? Unfortunately, we don't have cable any more so I don't know Mike. Fortunately, I have my own handyman...even if he thinks I am out of my ever loving mind with some of my requests, lol. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'd like to give you the Beautiful Blogger Award for having a blog that inspires me. If you choose to display the award, please include "7 Things You Don't Know About Me" and list 15 blogs that inspire you.

    You can copy and paste the award from my blog at
    www.modvintagelife.com

    Nita

    ReplyDelete