Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Four Classy Dames

Our Buff Orpingtons have lived with at Meadowsweet Cottage for ten days now. This was Day One.

And this is now! Taller, heavier, more feathers...less cooperative, but still very sweet.
 
Time to name them!Thank you all for your suggestions which helped me narrow down my choices. As of today Brownie, Beauty, Platinum and Chipette (how I've been differentiating them) have names.
 
Given how heavy they will be when fully grown (ten pounds) I decided to go with buxom movie stars that would also be familiar to the Queen Mother.

Say "hi" to Sophia Loren, the brunette; Carole Lombard, the platinum blonde; Rita Hayworth, the popular one; and Marilyn Monroe (MM or Norma Jean), the sweet belle.
 
You can see they've grown wary of the paparazzi. At least I promise not to try to herd them into the bunny basket which is too small for one (much less four) ever again.  In fact, I'm adding a playground accessible from their brooder and beginning to plan their future residence.  I can read the writing on the wall (even if it's chicken scratch)--they're not going to be babies much longer.

Why do babies have to grow up so fast?

4 comments:

  1. hee! I can't believe you have chickens! I've toyed with the idea, but keep thinking it'll be too much work but man, fresh eggs... how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them!!! How sweet. Great names too. I have had pet ducks. I miss them so much. I had 2 sets at different times. First ones were Bob and Bing. The second set were Harpo and Groucho. Enjoy them!

    Mermaid Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect names, especially Norma Jean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww they are so cute, and yes they do grow at a lightening fast pace. Love the names, its so fun to name them. Enjoy your little gals.

    ReplyDelete