Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Monday, June 21, 2010

Celebrating Summer

Summer means Queen Elizabeth roses and pink petunias, home-grown cherry tomatoes and green filet beans, al fresco breakfasts and barbecued dinners, long days and warm nights, crickets and ladybugs, no school bells and no paychecks, walks with Kharma and hikes with friends, strawberries and blueberries from Costco, books from the Paperback Exchange and Saturday morning yard sales, seven summer birthdays to celebrate, two-liter bottles of Diet Mountain Dew and pitchers of lemon water, family visits, naps in the hammock, and five gazillion projects to choose from each day.

It's anticipation rather than an alarm clock that wakes me each morning.  I love-love-love creating my own schedule!  I focus on three daily goals--time for exercise, good healthy food choices, and a solid achievement of some sort.  Some days I'm so energized that my feet don't stop from the time they hit the floor in the morning till I put my jammies on at bedtime.  I become a multi-tasking whirlwind--juggling garden chores, livestock, craft projects, sewing, housework and home repair and still working in some "me" time.

I want to look back with satisfaction at summer's end and know I filled it with enough good memories to last until the next summer vacation rolls around.

I love summer.

4 comments:

  1. You weren't kidding about the whirlwind...I hope you get to spend lots of time in the hammock.
    This sounds like great fun at the cottage. Glad you have the opportunity to live life on your own schedule...it makes all the difference.
    Happy days to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to have things to look forward to. I love your three goals for each day...I think I'll try and adopt them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summertime is the BEST!....Nothing like a fresh hot tomato right off the vine. Tomato & Mayo sandwiches are my favorites! Hope you can stop by and visit too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will indeed look back on this summer with satisfaction, if you accomplish all of these goals! Summer is simply not long enough for me, it is the only time I happily rise before 8 oclock and fill the day with BUSY. Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete