Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Saturday, March 02, 2013

Dr. Suess-isms

March second--today it's National Reading Day AND somebody's birthday.

Here's a hint:

I love the Cat in the Hat although he caused me severe anxiety as a child; I remember cringing when that pink bathtub ring and Mom's dress were on a collision course.

My very favorite is One Fish, Two Fish--I even have a t-shirt.  As though I couldn't quote the entire book from memory without help.  Followed closely by Green Eggs and Ham.

I laugh at Max wagging his tail, mistakenly waiting for a sleigh ride down Mt. Crumpet.  Every.  Single.  Year.  Because it wouldn't be Christmas without him or Boris Carloff's narration.  (My children do not share my fondness but I suspect that it's one thing they'll always remember about me.)

In honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday, here's a bit of wisdom from world-famous philosopher Theodor Geisel himself:


You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut. 

I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells.

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.

 Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

A person's a person no matter how small.

You'll be sort of surprised what there is to be found once you go beyond Z and start poking around.

I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of fun that is funny.

I meant what I said and I said what I meant.

Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

You can find magic wherever you look.

What's your favorite Seuss book?

Bring joy,
(how appropriate!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment