Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Friday, February 02, 2007

6 Weird Things About Me


I was surfing the Bloggies Awards site and came across this meme. I couldn't resist. So without too much soul-searching or editing, here are a few of things that make me me.

1. I'm a cord neat freak. Be it extension cord, hair dryer or curling iron cord, or clipper cord--I put it away neatly coiled or folded.

2. I love doing laundry. I sort, wash, dry, fold and iron effortlessly. If only I liked doing any other sort of housework.

3. When I have a headache, I have ice cream for breakfast.

4. I hate obstructions in ice cream. You will never see me eat Rocky Road or Tin Roof Sundae. Ever.

5. I'll read anything except novels by Russian authors. In-flight magazines, romance novels, biographies, scientific articles, newspapers used as packing material, blogs, Dick Francis mysteries, Euripides, Jane Eyre for the hundredth time, short stories, poetry, Highlights for Children, the Yellow Pages--all okay. Five lines of Tolstoy...five lines too many.

6. I can't smell. Nope, not roses, apple pie, barbecued hamburgers. Also not teenage sweat. Not barf. Not skunks. Not farts. I'm really quite happy this way. Don't for a moment think that I can't taste food. Taste and smell are two quite separate senses. My opinion is that most people have never actually tasted their dinner because they were too busy smelling it.

Please don't let numbers one and two lead you to think that I'm tidy. I'm absolutely not, which is why those two things seem odd to me. My sweetie is the clean-it-up-as-you-go type. I'm the clean-it-up-when-you-can't-stand-it-anymore type. I frequently tell him that he's lucky I'm just obsessive about cords because otherwise I could make his life a living hell. (I'm sure that in his deepest soul he thinks his life could only be improved by clean floors and counters.) He doesn't know how lucky he is that I'm not following behind him and demanding, er...suggesting, improvements in packing the car for vacation, putting groceries in the fridge, and organizing the medicine cabinet.

And when it comes to laundry, I'm happy to get his clothes from hamper to drawer, but I do draw the line at ironing his clothes. My clothes are all ironed, but unless he has a dress shirt he's going to be using soon--well, just let's say that he's lucky his shirts and pants seem to be wrinkle resistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment