Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

They're Creeping Up On Me

Despite the fact that I was awakened by three quakes in one night, I still got plenty of z's. That's because I have mastered the wake up, followed by the wait for it to end and a possible evaluation of how big it might have been, concluded by rolling over and going back to sleep.

So I thought I was in good shape.

Until a friend who happens to drive by the school just as I go home for lunch talked to me. We were chatting at the red light in our red cars, sharing raptures over the weather, until the earthquakes came up.

"Those last ones were amazing; they felt like 3.0's instead of just little 2.0's," I told her.

"You've probably already Google Earthed it already, but the epicenter for those last ones were just a block away," she revealed.

"Ahh," I replied, because a geologist's wife is obliged to act like she knows these things even if she is clueless. But I came home and instead of eating lunch I entered the lat. and long. of the epicenters that appeared to be south of Mogul and yes, indeed, they are way close to home.

***
In related news, last Friday we had a 2.7 while I was standing on the upper field watching the kindergartners run their little hearts out on the Jog-A-Thon. It's one thing to be upstairs during a quake, because I can rationalize how I felt more motion on the second floor. Let me tell you, it's a whole 'nother thing when you're standing on (previously) solid ground with the whole world wide open around you..

and the earth moves.

Suddenly the logistics of getting that much rock to shift becomes absolutely amazing.

I have more respect for Mother Earth and her power than ever before.

1 comment: