Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Satisfied

What a beautiful day--blue skies, sunshine, sixty degrees. Thanksgiving doesn't get much better than this!

Here's reason #583 why I love the Internet: learning how to fold a fancy napkin!Not as important as the recipe for Pumpkin Soup or the directions for Balsamic Roast Asparagus...but since I baked the bread and pies last night, I had some time to play with the napkins. Haven't you always marvelled at the folded napkins at nice restaurants? They just make the meal taste that much better.

There's always one who just has to nibble before dinner's served, isn't there!
I love squirrels and acorns--this little guy is vintage. You can see his brother in the photo above, right behind the crystal. They used to live on the Queen Mother's coffee table but now come play in my house every November.

Serving pumpkin soup meant that I got to use my soup tureen for the first time ever (it's been passed down from a family friend to the Queen Mother and then to me) along with the Mikasa "Breckenridge" plate (acorns again!) I found at a yard sale last Spring I love the deep jewel tones of the tablecloth with our gold-rimmed china.

Our menu:
  • Roast Turkey
  • Finnish Orange Bread
  • Balsamic Roast Asparagus
  • Yams
  • Homemade Cranberry Sauce
  • Pumpkin Soup
  • Knudsen's Organic Sparkling Pear Juice
  • Pecan Pie from our traditional family recipe
  • Apple Pie (made with our own apples!)
Entertainment provided by:
  • Kharma and Zelda lurking politely beneath the table
  • Frodo, Crystal and Muffin twittering loudly
  • Six goldfinches jockeying for the five spots on the thistle sock.
Why is it that clean up takes longer than the meal itself?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious and looks even better! And I LOVE that soup tureen.

    ReplyDelete