Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Monday, March 15, 2010

ReStore Score

I promised myself a flying trip to our Habitat ReStore on my long lunch Friday. I had a few items I was looking for. And I remembered to take the measurements and the tape measure with me (for once).

Can you guess what my favorite number is?.
These orphans will be painted and hung as garden art this summer.  I sense the beginnings of a new collection.

I acquired some new wood goods--a drawer face, two skins and a cabinet door.
Hopefully these will morph into a stylish new stand for Frodo's birdcage--what a before-and-after that will be!

The cabinet door looked even prettier when I got it out into good light.
Mother Nature and I both love wood grain.

Are you ready for the best part?  Here are my treasures--two wooden shutters!
These babies waited for me to make up my mind for two weeks. Two. Weeks. Two weeks at the ReStore is like two years at the Good Will. I passed them up with some reluctance the first time (I wanted them to be triplets not twins), then I spotted them stuck in an out-of-the-way corner last week, where they miraculously stayed until I finally adopted them.


I woke up Friday hoping that they'd still be there.  Some things are just meant to be.
Because they're made of decent wood, they're still solid even with the minor water damage--blessings on our high desert climate!

They have just the perfect amount of shabby chic texture.
With a coat of apple-green paint, some old hinges and a little distressing, they'll look right at home on the brick patio in back of potted petunias and ivy.  Forget spring fever! My shutters have me longing for the lazy warmth of summer.

The best part?  Check out the price.  Yes, it says one dollar! How lucky can a girl be?!
They even threw in the old tenants for free.
I've served the spider clan their eviction notice and will be bringing Sheriff Scrub Brush out soon.

My ReStore is fast becoming my favorite place to shop. I spent a whopping six dollars there, which is nice, and I feel saintly because:
  1. I passed on an old metal mailbox and 
  2. I  also didn't buy a tall old cabinet that had two fabulous tip-out metal bins on the bottom. The cabinet wouldn't fit in the Subaru but the mailbox would have.  It would have looked charming painted creamy white trimmed in red with some cherry decals as the finishing touch, and
  3. I still got all my housework finished!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you do not get this comment twice. Blogger is acting up today.
    Wow girl I cannot believe you got those for one dollar, you got a bargain on the shutters.They are used for so many crafty things around here that they are hard to find or high priced.
    You should have gotten the mailbox you know. I always do this ' I should have gotten that ' number on myself when I get back home. LOL!
    Lona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always humming3/15/2010 9:33 AM

    Why the number "nine"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! And I would find a truck to go back and get that cabinet because it sounds AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete