Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Four Hot Chicks Need Names

Although all four girls are Buff Orpingtons, they look different enough that we can tell them apart.

This one with the bold stripe is the queen of the coop and head of the pecking order.
And we could tell within the first thirty seconds!

This little gal sports more brown tones than gold, definitely the brunette of the bunch.
She's also growing fastest which is surprising considering she started out as the shyest of the bunch.

Say hi to the Twins. It took us a bit longer to distinguish between these two honeys.
One has a platinum blonde stripe and a brownish head.

The other has a goldie stripe and a yellowish head.
She's the beauty of the bunch (not that the others aren't as cute as can be).


That's our little flock.

So...now that I don't panic every time one of the chicks lies down for a nap (please don't die, please don't die), it's time to start thinking of names.  I'm looking for four girl names that stick with a theme--film stars, old-fashioned girls, cartoon characters, heroines, favorite authors or ????

You can probably tell I've got a few ideas for names brewing but I'd be thrilled to have some fresh ideas to add to the mix.

Remember that these little girls will grow up to be Buff Orpington hens--big, golden, classy, and mellow.  I'm interested in seeing if the grown hens' plumage mimic their chick coloring.

They will be a week old tomorrow already. Their wing feathers grew so fast you could almost watch them sprout. Yesterday I remarked that their baby bums were looking peaked and sure enough, today we can see the beginnings of tail feathers! It might be my imagination but I think I'm seeing their combs start to develop. My babies are growing like weeds!

9 comments:

  1. Is anyone else having trouble commenting? Let me know if you have--I cherish my comments and maybe Blogger has some fix. Know that you can always email me: nvmylife at hotmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right off the top of my head...

    Lucy, Ethel, Laverne & Shirley

    Sporty, Baby, Posh & Ginger (after the Spice Girls. I left out Scary because those sweet chicks could never be scary)

    Summer, Winter, Spring & Autumn (I thought this would be so cool!)

    Dorothy, Blanche, Rose and Sophia!

    Aurora, Ariel, Belle and Cindy (short for Cinderella)

    Okay I'm spent for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good start on the names, VP! I knew I was right to ask for some name suggestions :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always humming4/06/2010 10:45 PM

    I'll try leaving this one more time. Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy. Hermione, Luna, Ginny, and Fleur (or Tonks)- they are British after all (except for Fleur).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Four hot chicks indeed. I know nothing about poultry but I'm afraid after reading your posts I may never be able to eat chicken again. :)

    Thanks for stopping by Becolorful and commenting on my rug idea. I encourage all input but I love it when someone sees things my way. :)
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meme, Donnor, Memaw, Heart
    These names are from my granddaughter, age almost 4. I aqsked her what names we should send to you, hah. Funny names from a funny girl. Very cute little chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking Rita (Hayworth), Audrey (Hepburn), Ava (Garner), and Greta (Garbo). These names are actually popular kids names out here. Who'd a thunk! But they'd do nicely for those sweet chicks! They're adorable. You're not going to eat them...are you? Just eggs I hope! But then don't you need a rooster? In that case with the above names maybe Clark (Gable)! A known womanizer!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right to stick with a theme, otherwise it is too difficult to remember whos who, especially if you have a large animal population. My method is to choose character names from a book or a movie I love... Charles Dickens characters for example or perhaps a nationality, all my geese have Scottish names. All my goats and sheep have old time, simple American names etc, etc. Your so witty, I know you'll have lot of fun with naming them,especially since these Buffs will grow into buxom, red-headed bombshells... need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing cuter than baby chicks! Love the way they look against the blue carpet! Cute post! Glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete