Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Aurora Dreaming on a Saturday Night

I still haven't ever seen fireflies (except on Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean ride) but I've experienced the aurora borealis.  

A few years back our dog started howling at night--turns out she was saving us from the awesome red lights spread across the northern sky! I brought her inside and spent hours standing outside myself.  And here I thought I'd have to spend some time in Alaska.  

I'm hoping the near future sunspot activity might just possibly send me another glimpse of the aurora.  Maybe.  

Until then, I can always dream that I'm in Lapland.

Enjoy!
 

10 comments:

  1. I've seen neither but I'm pretty sure those lights would scare the holy heck out of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They freaked our dog out, but I thought they're sorta spooky cool. I could totally get used to them--like pretty sunsets.

      Delete
  2. I see so many fireflies every summer but I have never saw an aurora borealis. I would love to see one. They are just so beautiful. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have loads of fireflies here in Tennessee -- but the aurora borealis is pretty rare -- although, ONCE in the late 70's it was visible here and I got to see it (it was very faint, barely -- but definitely -- visible, though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think fireflies are the only things that could lure me east of the Rockies! Maybe we'll both get to see the aurora again if the solar activity is as rambunctious as predicted, lol.

      Delete
  4. You need to go east! We have bushels of them in PA and OH! I used to catch them all the time. :) I would love to see the Aurora Borealis, I did a project on it in 5th grade. My brother got to see it when he went to Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so funny about your dog!!

    We have lots of fireflies in summer around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a kid my brother and I use to collect fireflies. I hope someday you will get the chance to see one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I lived in Minnesota I saw the Aurora Borealis, amazing!! I remember staring forever!! This is your summer to see fireflies!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete