Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

An Open Letter to a Dog


A friend (whose future golden retriever puppy should be born momentarily) received this email from her dog breeder in Colorado and forwarded it to me. It made me laugh so I blogged it for all you dog lovers out there...enjoy!


To be posted VERY LOW on the refrigerator door - preferably at nose height.

Dear Dogs:

The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not automatically make it your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.
The stairway was not designed by NASCAR and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the bottom is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help because I fall faster than you can run.

I cannot buy anything bigger than a king-sized bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue sleeping on the couch to ensure your comfort. Dogs can actually curl up in a ball when they sleep. Also, it is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to each other and/or stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space is nothing but sarcasm.

For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. Before you arrived in our home, I had been using the bathroom alone for many years--canine attendance is not required. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, try to turn the knob or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered.

The proper order is kiss me first, then go smell the other dog's butt. I cannot stress this enough.

Love,

Your human pack member


No comments:

Post a Comment