Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

What Color Is Your Nose?

Character counts. Even for a politican. Heck, especially for a politician!

I have a long memory.

I remember a senator waging a bitter rivalry against G.W. Bush for the Republican nomination back in 2000. That senator didn't have much good to say about his rival. I remember that war-hardened politician frequently being critical of the Bush administration. I remember when folks thought John Kerry might choose a fellow senator for his running mate. One who incidentally had an -R. showing his political affiliation. (The 2004 polls showed that that possible team would have trounced the current incumbents soundly, BTW.)

Yep, I remember a certain Republican senator being a thorn in our president's side. I actually kinda liked that guy. Then, magically, not long afterwards that former gadfly was introducing President George W. Bush on a stage right here in Reno, complete with lots of lavish praise, manly hugs and on-camera camaraderie. That was the afternoon I lost all respect for John McCain. He could have made a difference; he could have provided our country with a voice heralding a different point of view; he might even have changed the course of history.

He didn't. Character truly can count. And he flunked the test.

I might not have remembered such flagrant and egregious brown-nosing had it not taken place right here in The Biggest Little City. For me, the stench still lingers about his person after four years. And part of that odious smell has been a suspicion that a deal was struck back in 2004.

I want to stop defining a politician as a cynical creature to whom the end justifies the means. I want to know that my vote goes to someone who has some integrity. Is it too much to ask that the welfare of our country comes before a politician's win-loss record?

I'm just saying.

1 comment:

  1. Why can't politicians "compete" without having the smear campaigns that we constantly see, regardless of political affiliation? We're seeing it now - with each side accusing the other of playing dirty. I wish we could just play clean - and this goes to the integrity of the candidates and their campaigns - and get to the hearts of the matters, rather than using smoke and mirrors to distract us from what's important.

    ReplyDelete