Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Friday, June 26, 2009

Copper Ducks

The highlight of our morning walk: a Common Merganser mother and her brood.

They were swimming in the river at our turn-around point, a cottonwood-shaded park nearby. This is the first time I've seen them here, although I know they do frequent some Sierra lakes and streams.

We camped near French Reservoir years ago and loved the showy "copper ducks" around our campsite. The bird book called them Common Mergansers, but I don't think there's anything common about these showy waterfowl!

What a nice way to start a summer day.

1 comment:

  1. I love watching ducks with ducklings. Somethign about those fuzzy little guys makes me feel all warm and fuzzy myself. :)

    Did you get pictures?

    ReplyDelete