Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Friday, August 20, 2010

Presto Change-O

I had another of those one-thing-leads-to-another days. I just couldn't wait to start the make-over on this one more minute.  Motivation strikes at odd times. Or maybe it's just that summer vacation is winding to a close (sob) way too rapidly and I have a gazillion things yet to do.  Maybe it wasn't motivation, maybe it was panic!
 
Did you notice the bun feet? And the little scroll-y detail on the bottom? Love it!

A little 80-weight sandpaper followed by a gentler 150 gave me this.

I love my palm sander.

The sides didn't look as great as the front.  The red stain residue sent me running to the store for some Kilz. The kind with primer, sealer and stain-blocker all in one.
 
I never prime my pieces, but I'm no fool. Yep, never say never.

Thankfully the Kilz dries quickly...
 
because from the pink undertones, this is gonna need a second coat.

While coat number one was drying, I decided to tackle our neglected workbench.
 
There really is a workbench under there. Truly.  And it wasn't all that long ago that I had it cleared off.  What is it about horizontal surfaces that attract so much clutter?

The various grits of sandpaper went into the sandpaper box, the seeds found their way into the seed drawer,  the tools were re-hung, the bike and automotive staples from The Big Guy got put away, and the chicken feeder received some finishing touches.  It really didn't take that long.
 
Much better, yes?  I told ya there was a workbench in there somewhere.

Since the chest needed a second coat(!) of primer I decided to spray paint the hanger while the Kilz dried.  This poor plant hanger started the summer ivory, briefly became white and but I think it'll stay red.  It's attached with just one screw because I couldn't get a starter hole in that knotty wood, but I hung the new chicken feeder up anyway and filled it.
 
Here, chick-chick-chick.

Miss Rita and her friends personally inspected every screw, nut, seam and wire.  Also the hammer, screwdriver, my shoelaces and my shorts.  Because you never know where some delicious tidbit might be hiding.
 
They might have consumed a little bit of chick crumble too.  Do you think they appreciate the fashionably galvanized finish on their new feeder?

Meanwhile, the second coat of Kilz dried pink too, but I put a test coat of creamy-white paint on top before I came in for the evening. We'll see what it looks like in the morning--I'm hoping for white not pink.

Fingers crossed,

2 comments:

  1. Panic has been driving me too lately rather than energy LOL! Oh, I love this chest. I have never saw one with the ball feet. I cannot wait to see it when you have it finished. Kilz is a life saver on a lot of my projects.
    Miss Rita had to check out the new shiny thing in the house and was probably surprised to find food in it. LOL! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Pogonip! You're so funny! The panic has me like a deer in the headlights, this year. It's 9:30, now - school starts tomorrow, sniff!

    Your industrious day looked wonderfully productive. The before and after of your workbench is such a wowzer - it really made me laugh. I haven't posted, lately, about our feathered gals because they look absolutely ghastly. They're in the slowest molt that you ever did see! They're happy - free range - no mites - large eggs - big personalities and absolutely scraggly. Our poor beloved rooster has had one tail feather that he's been desperately hanging on to. They're going to be soup soon, though, if they don't keep digging in the garden! (oops, did I just say that?) Anyway, your gals our dear!!!

    I love your new layout, too, btw!

    I, also, want you to know that it's always very cheery for me when you leave a comment - I'm always glad to hear from you! Thank you!!

    Okay, I'm off to read and look around more.

    Love, Katy Noelle

    ReplyDelete