Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Friday, November 11, 2011

Elevenses


Eleven-eleven-eleven makes me think of the hobbits worrying if Strider knows about tiffin, elevenses, supper and dinner. Which is appropriate since LOTR always reminds me of World War II... so in honor of Veterans Day here are excerpts written by my dad (age 20) to his mother at the tail end of WWII:


Amarillo Army Air Field
Amarillo, Texas
24 Oct 45

Dearest Mom,

Our formation this morning was orientation on conversion of our insurance, G.I. Bill of Rights, getting your job back, and things like that...

Only thing I'm worried about are the buses. With the strikes and all I might not get connections and have to hitch hike. Bob did it from Hueneme so guess I could do it from L.A. Will just have to wait and see how it works out...

It won't be long now until I walk in the front door, don't expect too much because I'll probably be a wreck, mentally and physically.

Well, goodnite now, dear,
I'll be seeing you
Lovingly,
Buddy



How many sons have written the same thoughts to their mothers over the years? How many mothers cherished each letter as it came to them and worried about the contents?


Freedom, whether in Middle Earth or in America, always comes with a very human price tag that makes it all the more to be valued.


Thankfully,

1 comment:

  1. Love this. My brother Preston has been in the Middle East twice now serving. Luckily, he is home now with his wife and toddler. We are blessed to have so many soldiers willing to do the jobs they do for us.

    Thanks for taking the time to show appreciation :)

    ReplyDelete