Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Monday, November 13, 2006

Fixer Upper, Nice Bones, Great Potential


Handyman's Special Older, 2 bedroom, 1 bath home in need of TLC. Large bedrooms and eat-in kitchen. 1020 square inches of living space does not include bonus attic room. Sturdy construction, needs updating. This could be your dream house!


It's a spacious 1020 square inches of doll luxury. At fifteen dollars, it was irresistable. Unfortunately I have no girls. However, there is a young Princess in the family who would be the perfect landlord for a deserving family of dolls. And I'm the lucky one who gets to play HGTV so that Santa can deliver it on Christmas.

It took thirty minutes, four women and a roof removal to finally find a way to fit it into Grammy's car for the trip home. It took thirty days for me to finally haul it inside to begin work. I realized I only have ten days to remodel it before it changes hand for the trip south. Happily, I've already bought some wallpaper for the bathroom and have the glimmering of an idea for one bedroom. I've made a good start in just one afternoon. I've vacuumed and washed it down. There are no spider webs, dust bunnies or stickers from the previous owner.

The first level has an entry that's 15x12. It's flanked by a large 15x13 room and a petite 15x9 room. The second level has a nice 15x13 bedroom, a 15x9 bath and a second bedroom that's 15x12. There's also an attic that is more apparent with the roof on--it's 15x34. It's currently off-white and cream--some might call that a blank canvas or a neutral interior. I call it just plain blah. Jen likes color as much as I do, so it won't stay white for long!

So...a kitchen/eating area to occupy the largest room downstairs. The entry will become the family room. Don't know what the third room will be. As a good responsible decorator, I'll have to consult my clients.

Stay tuned for daily updates--feedback and suggestions welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment