Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Leonine March, Blustery April

Where does the time go? Why is it that a week dragged by when I was in fourth grade and now an entire month can disappear while I'm looking for my glasses? Where have I been that I haven't actually sat down long enough to post a new entry in 3 weeks?

I have been spending lots of time at the keyboard. The soccer-related emails alone could account for a full week. Emails about meetings, emails about tournaments, emails about uniforms, emails about games, emails about practices, emails about cancelled practices, emails about schedules, emails about disregarding the previous emails, emails with attachments forwarded from other emails with attachments.

Could I just possibly coach? Could someone else worry about games, players, paperwork and uniforms? And could someone else possibly worry about the weather for me? Because I KNOW the other part of the 3 weeks was spent wondering and worrying and cancelling. We managed exactly one worthwhile practice day before our first game. We had one memorable practice where we had to kick a high-school lacrosse game off our field and then the weather turned so brutal with rain approaching snow and a cutting breeze that we barely survived. Forget actually coaching--my goal that day was to keep my girls moving so their blood wouldn't freeze. Any exposed skin was either our team's sky blue or a lovely shade of frosty pink when we came off the pitch.

At least I am done with paperwork. At least we've had enough girls show up for every game. At least we've had one game with no rain/snow/winds. Maybe the worst is over. Maybe not, but I find I'm not worrying about it. If there is one thing that this season has taught me--worry is a useless waste of energy. I can't change the weather and I can't change anyone else's priorities or schedules. I can read the wind, however; today it's telling me to get outside and have fun.
The sky is temporarily blue, the sun is out, the zephyrs are absent and the emerging perennials need me. And maybe I'll find time to get out the soccer ball and practice just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment