Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Family Room


The family room actually looks much better than this pic. The blue walls are a nice combination of country blue and retro dots. I never did find a paper like wood flooring strips so I made my own. I acquired wood-like paper, cut it into 1/2 inch strips and inked the sides with a medium brown (yes, that may be the actual definition of OCD), and glued the individual strips down.

However, I knew I should have painted the floor brown before I glued them on. I was in an enthusiastic rush to see how the strips looked and sort of skipped that step. Big mistake. In fixing up the dollhouse I discovered that there are two kinds of scrapbook paper--the kind that glues beautifully and the kind whose genetics dictate extreme wrinkliness when exposed to any moisture. Guess which kind the woodlike paper was? So far, no amount of glueing down of individual prune-y strips has solved the problem. So there is indeed white showing up between floor boards. I suspect at some point I will figure out a way to minimize the white (paint, brown Sharpie marker, other) so it doesn't drive me crazy. I mean, most of the house looks really sweet and this floor just doesn't make the cut.

On the other hand, it sure does look better than the all white house I inherited! And maybe it just needs a rug and some furniture...

No comments:

Post a Comment