Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Half and Half

I've snuck in a little time here and there when my sweetie isn't using the computer, just to see if everyone out there in Blog Land survived the turkey onslaught, and discovered I'm not the only one posting about Black Friday.

Those of you who set your alarm for 3:45 a.m. (and you know who you are) are insane. Okay, you're not as insane as the completely totally insaner folks who were already lined up well ahead of you. Did they camp out? Get up at midnight? Skip Thanksgiving altogether? File this one under "Mysteries That Need No Answer".

To my alarm, marketing worked on about half of you. You snagged some bargains, no doubt, but I'm still not impressed. I might get up early if I was gonna save, say...over $500. On something I really really really wanted.

On the other hand, after five months of sleep deprivation, my sleep is worth a lot. I have a lot of sleep to catch up on and sleeping in is a luxury that is priceless for me right now.

Thank heavens for the other half who are apparently as resistant to ad campaigns as I am. We enjoyed a calm day with family or friends, reflecting on how many hours it was gonna take us to work off all those calories.

I have to admit that I apparently absorbed some of the hype. My workroom suddenly resembles the one at the North Pole. Greens and reds everywhere. Patterns for Santas, snowmen and crickets. Kits for stockings half-finished. Stashed presents suddenly appearing. Lists upons lists. I guess I'm inspired. I know I was busy enough that I used up an entire spool of thread.

This is what happens when I have two hands with fingers that actually work, am well rested and have four long lovely days off. I turn into Mrs. Claus.

No comments:

Post a Comment