Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Junkin' Treasures

Volunteering for two days at the fund-raiser yard sale reaped a few rewards for all of us.

The chicks' made out like the little raptors they are. They scored coop refinements like this edging which will make cleanup much easier once it's glued in place.
As well as this brand-spanking new netting to replace the white trash combination of chicken wire fragment/scrap net/black plastic garbage bag jury-rigged system currently in use to hawk-proof their run.  The neighbors will appreciate the new netting, I'm fairly sure.
But the girls are having the most fun with the pine shavings inside their coop instead of the paper layers I've been using since Day 1.
Why? Because it's such a delight to scratch! I found that it flies inside their feeder (hence the avocado green plastic dog dish that replaced their chick saucer), gets saturated when kicked into the water bottle, permeates every nook and cranny inside their coop and with the proper enthusiasm (which they certainly have) will even migrate over the door stop and out onto the garage carpet. 
Chicks' grand total: $2.50.

Us humans did okay too.  My sweetie was happy when I found him a never-been-used dehydrator.  It'll come in handy when the peaches/apples/tomatoes deluge us this fall.  And the solid wood picture frame turned up in an unopened box during the last fifteen minutes of the sale and I think it's the perfect size for an unframed oil painting he got for his birthday.

I discovered three pierced dishes. (Okay, maybe one has a glaze issue and one is a bit sharp around an edge--but the third plate is perfect.)
I am seriously loving the detail here!
The chandelier was definitely my find of the weekend. Two. Dollars. (Really.)
I can hardly wait (hello, summer!) to play with a faux mercury-glass paint job for this baby and gussie her up with some dangly strands of crystals.

Non-avian total:  $9.

Feeling pretty lucky,

4 comments:

  1. You are having just too much fun.
    I see the little girls are growing by leaps and bounds and getting more spoiled by the day. That's good!
    You must go take a look at my new buff gals, they are older than yours because, well, I didn't have time to raise em myself. They've been with a keeper until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you found some great junkin treasures. The chicks will love the shavings. I love those plates girl! They do have such wonderful detail to them. You will have to post the chandelier when its finished. Great buys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I can't wait to see this with the mercury glass treatment. How do you come up with such brilliant ideas? Show a bit of the how to's for us newbies to this process.

    Thanks for commenting on my post about my son. I know he will be checking back to see the comments. :) The more positive feedback the better. He is our middle and has always marched to a different drummer.
    P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are rubbing off on me. The last three Saturdays in a row I have been up early garage saling. :)

    ReplyDelete