Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Twenty-three

What do you say when someone so young dies?  I don't know how to even begin. 

I know that my life was barely beginning at twenty-three.  I said "I do" and moved away from home with lots of hopes and dreams.  Little did I know how young I was and how much of life was still to be experienced.

I keep thinking "Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May" and I suspect Frankie is looking down on me shaking his head in disbelief at my inappropriate quote for somebody who was six foot five, athletic and outdoorsy, and never considered gathering a rosebud in his life.  But there are so just so many things that he will never get to do.
Still, he knew what it was like to have two loving and supportive parents.  He was expert at sibling rivalry as well as intense family loyalty.  He knew laughter and enjoyed sports.  He experienced the satisfaction of a career where he was well-liked. He was still finding his way, still learning about relationships and choices, but he was on a good trajectory. 

There are worse epitaphs. 

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. It is so sad when someone so young dies. Your heart just breaks for the whole family and for the friends that lives will be forever changed.
    This morning as my husband left to take out son to the ER (it's been a long last couple of days)the sirens started. They came into our neighborhood or close. (5:30 a.m.) I thought of your previous post. I prayed that it wasn't my husband(it wasn't) and I prayed for the person they were rushing to.
    I hope you will soon find peace in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a handsome boy. It is so hard when someone young dies that has not even begun to live and so many things yet that lied ahead.Words just aren't enough somehow but you honor him well with the memories of his young life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard to lose someone you love but I think it is doubly hard to lose someone so young when their life is before them. Twenty-three, and in reference to my friend's son who was twenty, is way too young to die. I will be thinking of his family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your comment on my eulogy post, thank you. I am so sad to hear of your friends loss; my heart grieves for them. It is so difficult to lose a young one... sometimes it doesn't seem real, and then I remember all over again.

    My thoughts and prayer to all whose lives are touched by this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete