Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Garden List for 2023

 I can't even discern where my garden is.  The yard is a sea of snow with zero topographic hints.  I know there is a pond.  Somewhere raised beds exist.  Undoubtedly there are green bits happening underneath the icy crust.  There's just no visual proof.

My heart knows that Spring will arrive as it always has. It's that whole circle of life thing that is part of a gardener's code.  I'll see the first penstemon flowers from new plants and I'll find out if the Double Delight rose survived.  There are apple blossoms and hyacinth flowers  and rhubarb leaves in my future.

Also, chores. Lots and lots of chores.

  • Pruning apple whips
  • Shaping the donut peach
  • Cutting out deadwood on the roses
  • Raking up old leaves
  • Mending old drip irrigation
  • Checking the sprinkler system
  • Getting the potager ready for new crops
  • Ordering retaining wall blocks and caps
  • Mucking out the pond
  • Waterlily purge
  • Figuring out lawn survival with an active puppy
  • Varmint control
  • Brick resets
  • Storm damage removal. I'm looking at you, lilac tree.
  • Seed sowing and germination

So a Pineapple Express melted three-quarters of the snow.  Hurray!  Our nearby open space was a bit squishy, but the pup had fun jumping over ditches filled with snowmelt. 


But wait!  This is Nevada.  Twelve hours later, there was snow covering everything yet again.  It's still snowing.  Sigh.

Thank heavens for a list--it keeps me moving forward to having dirt under my fingernails again.  

Although the snow IS pretty and I love watching the flakes drift daintily down.  Meanwhile, looks like another day with a paintbrush and a sewing machine to keep me busy.

 


1 comment:

  1. No real garden for this kid -- just what comes up every year and things in pots. But with the snow, I couldn't find mine, either.

    ReplyDelete