Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Ways to Make the Time Change Easier

 It's never gonna get easier to wake up an hour earlier, but there are ways to help yourself adjust more quickly.  Even so, a little grumbling is okay. 

Side note:  I just love having the morning sunshine in my living room again!

My number one key to resetting my internal clock is to change my eating habits to reflect the new time displayed on my clocks.  Not so much my breakfast or lunch, but definitely dinner.  It feels a little strange to eat an hour earlier at first, but give me three days and I no longer notice the difference.  I am ruled by my stomach.  Totally.

If you aren't the type to jump into the cold pool and would rather inch in gradually, you can anticipate the time switch by Springing Ahead by fifteen minutes a day.  So this Thursday,  I'll be trying to eat and sleep fifteen minutes earlier.  Friday, thirty minutes earlier.  Saturday, forty-five minutes. So a fifteen minute change on Sunday won't feel so monumental.  Can't hurt, right?!

The last thing I recommend is to climb into bed whether you feel like it or not.  If you aren't tired enough, then do sometime soothing that will make you sleepy.  Read a boring book.  Take a warm bath before putting on your jammies.  Listen to soothing music.  No smartphones, tablets or laptops.  This is the only time I feel like I have to be disciplined about my activity, because changing my bedtime to an earlier hour is hard for me.  It's helpful going to bed at the usual "time" regardless of what my head is telling me.  

One way or another, we'll all soon be waking, eating and sleeping on our new schedule without a second thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment