Love, empathy, tolerance--also puppies, flowers, and laundry

Thursday, March 09, 2023

Stuck Inside

 When Mother Nature isn't in sync with my preferences, I have to pivot.

In the last week, we went from subtle-but-unmistakable Signs of Spring to Winter on Reboot.  Alas.

Fortunately, there is always Art.  Art doesn't depend on the weather (like hiking) or seasons (like gardening) or holidays (like Turkey Day, Santa celebrations and Cupid extravaganza). Art can be anything, anytime.  

Christmas in a July heatwave. Tulips as leaves fall in October.   Ripe apples instead of February snowstorms.

My day could include loose sketching practice and watercolor giraffe caricatures,


 

followed by floral compositions as well as canine portraits, 


with thoughts on impressionistic landscapes and loose family portraits.


 Why not?!

Art is my creative playtime.  I'm not expecting masterpieces--heck, I'm not even expecting an occasional keeper.  I'm refining new skills, experimenting with new media, learning from new teachers.  

Sometimes failing.

 

Sometimes being surprised by the results.
 


Art is my ultimate coping mechanism when Mother Nature is on her own inscrutable timetable.

That and making lists of all the innumerable tasks any gardener faces as a new growing year approaches.   Ah, but that's a subject for a future post...

(I'm offering my very amateur doodlings in the spirit of real life with no filters. It's me, at this moment in time, knowing that I can only get better.  No living subjects were harmed in the creation of these drawings.)


1 comment:

  1. My daff sprouts are under snow again. And more to come. So today is a perfect painting day! St. Patrick's Day and Easter cards are on the agenda! Another online lesson from Este MacLeod and my coloricombo tree challenge #4. A little house decorating for spring. I think it will be a good day!

    ReplyDelete